Sleepwear- Comme les Français



One morning in Paris as I ventured to the salle de bain in my pajamas, Madame Chic stopped me. The look on her face was one of concern.

“Jennifer,” she said (in French, bien sûr), “Did I do that in the laundry?”

She was referring to the hole in the knee of my sweat pants- my favorite white sweat pants that I wore religiously.

“Oh no!” I exclaimed, eager to ease her mind. “These have had a hole in the knee for ages!”

The look of concern on Madame Chic’s face grew to one of confusion. “Why would you keep them if they have a hole in the knee?” she asked.

I remember looking at her, in her chic kimono style dressing gown- her hair pulled gently back from her face. “That is a very good question,” I said with embarrassment. “I don’t know.”

And the truth was, I didn’t know. Why did I haul my ratty old holey sweatpants all the way from California to Paris (Paris!) to wear as sleepwear? Yes, they were comfortable, but they weren’t that comfortable. I was instantly horrified/ enlightened.

That afternoon I headed straight to Etam and bought some suitable pajamas. (I’ll never forget them. I bought two pairs- a cream colored structured button down pajama set and a pretty orange lace chemise) The white holey sweatpants were thrown in the bin.

From that moment on, I developed a taste for lovely sleepwear...

My favorite brands are Calvin Klein Intimates (they put out beautiful pieces each season) and Intimissimi (I purchase something from their Kings Road shop whenever I am in London).

I used a recent gift certificate to Bloomingdales on this beautiful set of sleepwear by Calvin Klein (pictured above and below). I really enjoy sets because you can mix and match the options. I purchased a chemise, camisole, pant and dressing gown- all black with a plum lace trim. Perfectly understated and the sort of item that I wouldn’t mind anyone seeing me in…



Madame Chic would be so proud…


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.