The Search for a New Signature Perfume: Notes

My recent post on the search for a new signature perfume received a tremendous response. I loved hearing your thoughts on signature scents and the ones that you love!

Since then I have indeed gone on the hunt. The ensuing posts related to this topic will describe the various fragrances I’ve sampled on my road to finding “the one”. I will admit that I have felt somewhat intimidated at the daunting task of describing these scents accurately. Perfume is such a personal thing- different notes do different things to different people. Therefore, my reactions to the various perfumes might not (and will probably not) be the same as your reactions. It all depends on what you are privy to.

For example, I am usually drawn to florals, the rose note in particular- The smell of roses really moves me. Others might be drawn less to floral scents and more to fruity or oriental scents- so, as a caveat, my reviews of these fragrances are entirely subject to my personal taste. Each description is a recording of my thoughts at the end of the day after sampling the fragrance (in most cases I tried the fragrance more than once). At the end of each review I will list whether or not the fragrance is a contender for my signature scent. I hope you enjoy…



Tom Ford: Black Orchid

Black Orchid is a perfume I have tried in the past and have previously reviewed on my blog. It’s been a few years so I decided to try it again and see if my thoughts remain the same.

The first thing that draws me to Black Orchid is its bottle. That gorgeous black bottle looks like the vial of poison that Shakespeare’s Romeo bought from the apothecary and so tragically consumed on the Capulet crypt. It has a wicked, naughty air to its design. I was enticed. Bottle aside, the fragrance is dark and lovely… and my previous observation on it holds true:

Tom Ford Black Orchid is a deep, sensual fragrance- very heavy but not too overpowering, making it perfect for fall and winter or even early spring when it is still cold outside but the warm weather is burgeoning and on its way. The scent is rich and luxurious, making one feel as though perhaps they were a femme fatale riding the Orient Express in Agatha Christie’s famous novel. The spicy accord to the scent suggests one who has visited exotic places. Main notes include: bergamot, citrus, mandarin, ylang-ylang, black gardenia, patchouli and orchid. While I found this fragrance mysterious and moving, I am not certain if it could be my signature scent and will keep looking.


Chantecaille Pétales
Chantecaille has been all the rage recently after Angelina Jolie was spotted applying their lip gloss in the shade Love during this year’s ceremony at the Golden Globes. Chantecaille is a luxury beauty line based out of New York (Although Sylvie Chantecaille, the founder of the company, is French) that includes makeup, skin care and fragrances. I had only heard of them after the lip gloss in Love hullabaloo and was pleased to find their line of perfumes on a recent jaunt through Bloomingdales. I was drawn to Pétales based on the description from my friend Renee- who has helped me several times when visiting the adjacent Jo Malone counter. Pétales is the perfect fragrance for any lovers of white flowers. Gardenia, tuberose and jasmine are the prevalent notes in this fresh and romantic blend with a dry down that brings out the mellow tunes of cedar and sandalwood. Initially I wasn’t blown away with the scent but after a half hour or so when the dry down occurred I became entranced. Pétales is the perfect perfume to wear on a romantic summer evening. Its essence is that of a gorgeous bouquet of gardenias picked at twilight. The perfume itself is quite expensive- $175 for 75ml, but even so… this perfume is enchanting enough to be a definite contender…



Balenciaga: Paris

As you can imagine, I am already partial to a scent that is called Paris, so I thought I’d give Balenciaga Paris a try. Paris is a very sophisticated scent. It is a powdery, creamy violet that turns slightly woodsy after an hour or so of wear. The fragrance is minimalist, yet modern- there are not a lot of complexities to it- but the general sensation is that it is very pleasant. One of the criteria for my new signature scent is that it be bold- but not too bold. I would like to be able to wear it everyday and not tire of it. The bottle and packaging is quite beautiful. It has a an art deco feel to it. I could easily see this sitting on my counter and fitting in quite nicely amongst my toiletries. I am not certain if this is a contender… the violet note is lovely, but I am starting to miss my favorite rose note. Perhaps I will return to this another day.



Annick Goutal: Petite Cherie

Without even knowing the story behind how Annick Goutal created Petite Cherie for her young daughter, I could have guessed. Petite Cherie is a precious little scent. It is a pure and innocent smelling fruity floral with not a lot of staying power. I could easily see spritzing this on myself after a shower on a fresh Spring day. The main notes are peaches, pears, musk, rose and vanilla. It is, overall, a very pleasant scent- but probably not my signature scent. I need something bolder and less sweet.



Marc Jacobs Daisy

I had to try Marc Jacob’s Daisy to see what all the fuss is about. It is the #2 best selling fragrance at Sephora. So I realized going into trying Daisy that I might run into the problem of meeting another family member with the same signature scent! That aside, Daisy is lovely and I can see why it is so popular. It is a fresh and playful perfume, one that reads as very bright. The main notes are: strawberry, violet, jasmine, vanilla and ruby red grapefruit. I strongly detected the violet note, which also reminded me of Balenciaga’s Paris. This is a great perfume for daytime and casual occasions when one is feeling fresh and whimsical. But I am not sure if it is for me… Again, I am longing for roses…

I think you know where the direction of the next perfume post is going…

I would love to hear your thoughts...


And now for some housekeeping:

If you haven't already entered the giveaway for the beautiful Love Quotes scarf... it isn't too late! I will announce the winner this Thursday.

Thank you for helping me celebrate the launch of my new YouTube channel. Check in periodically for new uploads. This weeks uploads include What to Wear to the Theatre (already uploaded) and My Three Favorite Teas (upcoming).

The Daily Connoisseur is now available on Amazon Kindle


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.