Walking- Comme les Français



This week Gatsby and I went on a seaside walk with Madame Sportif. We had arranged the walk a week in advance and I knocked on her door at the appointed time. I was wearing my usual walking gear: beige sweatpants by Lucky Brand, tan tank top, hoodie and Adidas tennis shoes. You know… active wear.

So when Madame Sportif opened her door and looked as though she were going to take a stroll on the Champs-Élysées for an afternoon of leisurely shopping, I panicked. She was actually wearing the same thing she wore when we cooked lunch together three weeks ago- nice black capris, a pretty cotton blouse and a beautifully knit fishnet-esque sweater (Remember, the French are not obsessed with being caught in the same outfit twice. They simply do not care). She was also wearing pretty dark brown sandals with a leather flower embroidered on them. We eyed each other anxiously for a brief moment. I looked down with chagrin at my cream colored hoodie that read “Tokyo” on the front. Was I underdressed for our walk? The two of us walking together would be comical- like a high society woman and a hobo taking a stroll! I wanted to change, but it was too late…

“I should put on some walking shoes!” Madame Sportif said and quickly changed into chic little ballet flat cum tennis shoes. She carried with her a Longchamp backpack and sunglasses and we were out the door.

This little exchange reminded me of the vast differences between our cultures. When Americans exercise they get kitted out in tennis shoes, sweat pants, visors (not me, but you know, some people do) and all other sorts of gear to suggest that they are exercising. The French? Non, pas de tout. They incorporate exercise into their every day lives so they do not need to differentiate with their outfits. And they would rather be seen wearing their beautiful day clothes than work it out in comfortable exercise gear.

After I got over the initial shock of the vast difference in our attire, we had a lovely walk. Madame Sportif, Gatsby and I walked for nearly an hour and a half, down to the beach, up the Palisades Park and through the beautiful houses back to our neighborhood. The entire time we spoke French and I was terribly proud of myself for being able to hold up my end of the conversation...

We talked about art and films, cooking, baby names and various other subjects and had a wonderful time. When the walk was over we said we must do this again.

Now will I be Walking, Comme les Français in the future by wearing day clothes rather than active wear? Peut-être, peut-être pas … but it is food for thought…

Pictured above is my beloved Tokyo 'hoodie' by Lucky Brand Jeans... not the chicest of walking clothes, but it is awfully comfortable...


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.