On Exercise



Today I went hiking up Runyon Canyon with two of my good friends. I consider myself to be pretty physically fit, but for some reason, today's hike was incredibly difficult.

Had the hills gotten steeper since the last time I went? Or maybe it was the headwind?

No, I believe it is because I had taken a few days off from my usual exercise routine for the Thanksgiving holiday. That, coupled with the fact that I consumed copious amounts of food I don't normally eat, along with various glasses of wine and coffee (although not all at the same time... thankfully).

What a difference a few days can make!

I think everyone hits that plateau when they are exercising, when they think they simply cannot go on. Where they would rather be any place, doing anything else than what they are currently doing. This happened today while hiking up the unusually steep hill (it has been raining here, maybe it was just a tad steeper). I honestly considered asking my friends to turn around so we could all get breakfast. But then I remembered the title of one of my favorite books by Jon Kabat-Zinn, that says: "Wherever You Go, There You Are".

And there I was. Out of breath, sweating profusely, arduously climbing the hill. I just accepted it in that moment and was able to push through. Not so bad after all...

Now if only I can remember this bit of wisdom in my early Monday morning yoga class...

I would love to know what you do to keep physically fit...

Image of hiking women courtesy of: www.corbis.com


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.