Makeup- Comme les Français


Madame Bohemienne had it… Madame Chic had it… practically every French woman I observed in Paris had it! “It” being what is commonly referred to by Francophiles as “le no make-up look”.

Do you know which look I am talking about? It’s the look that says, “yes my cheeks are flushed, my lips pouty, my skin tone flawless and my lashes ready to bat but I didn’t lift a finger to get this look. This look is au natural- it’s just me! I have better things to do with my time than spend an hour in front of the mirror every morning applying makeup. I go to art galleries! Read Proust! Embrace my lover by the Seine!" (Okay, this scenario is getting a little out of hand but you do get my point, don’t you?)

The truth is, most French women do wear makeup every day- they just look like they aren’t wearing any. The look is polished and pretty- a slight definition of the eyes, an accentuated lip... I have been embracing this look during the day for quite some time now (thanks to Carmindy for teaching me the 5-Minute Face!). But when I was living in France- I actually (horreur) didn’t wear any makeup. Yes, you heard me right. I was a fresh-faced bohemian college student- an idealist- a dreamer! I didn’t have time for blush and lipstick and other such mindless pursuits!

That is until I dropped my preconceived notions about what it means to be a well-rounded woman and realized that doing things like reading Proust and visiting museums is a lot more fun if you look good! Now every morning I spend five to ten minutes applying powder, blush, lip gloss and mascara (oh, and eyeliner…. I can’t live without it). It is a minimal look- my version of le no makeup look.

Madame Chic would be so proud…


Audrey Tautou, one of my favorite actresses, sports le no makeup look above.


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.