On Posture (again)


Yesterday morning I was making breakfast for myself- chopping strawberries and bananas into a bowl- making a cup of green tea (I was having a healthy day) and I noticed with some chagrin, that while I was chopping the strawberries my shoulders were hunched in a very non-attractive manner.

I straightened up instantly.

Throughout the rest of my day I was acutely aware of my posture- in front of the computer (horrendous), at work (leaning against walls and objects to avoid standing straight), at dinner (elbows off the table!). When did my posture get so bad? I visited this very question on my blog about a year ago (see here). After that post I vowed to constantly have good posture. That didn’t last long.

I am finding a correlation with walking around ‘unconscious’ and having bad posture. I am a dreamer and tend to live a lot in my imagination and whimsy… meanwhile life is carrying on around me and I am going through it like the Hunchback of Notre Dame! (Okay, it’s not that bad but it might as well be… bad posture is a sin in my book).

This got me thinking about how I can straighten up and have more poise. Stop daydreaming? Live more in the present moment? Breathe deeper? Probably a combination of all three. This goes back to everything I've been exploring over the past few months... eating mindfully, being present, living with passion... (I can imagine it would be hard to live passionately with hunched shoulders- the two simply do not go together).

I’m glad I’m revisiting this subject again because I would like to know about your posture… how has it been lately?


Seurat's Un dimanche après-midi à l'Île de la Grande Jatte is shown above. His subjects show impeccable posture. Something to aspire to perhaps?


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.