The Perfect Guest Bedroom

Living in Santa Monica, my husband and I receive a lot of house guests- many of them come from England- many are friends and family from America. It might have something to do with our close proximity to the beach or the beautiful California sunshine, but I can't help but think it's because I've finally mastered the art of keeping a well-appointed guest bedroom.

Every now and then we receive an unexpected or last minute guest and I've learned (the hard way) that I should always have our spare bedroom shining and ready to go. The last time we were in England we had an unexpected house guest stay in our place while we were away- I was in agony wondering what state the guest bedroom was in and vowed to never have to worry about that again.

Here are my tips for creating a cozy guest bedroom.

- A spotlessly clean room, of course. Don't forget the cobwebs in the corners...

- Clean, white sheets, a fluffy duvet and new-ish pillows (get rid of any pillows that sag on both sides when you hold them up with one hand... that means they are full of dust mites and dead skin cells... yuck).

- Ample lighting. We recently installed recessed lights in the ceiling and also have an antique- looking lamp by the bed.

- No clutter. Be ruthless- the eye can become accustomed to seeing a stack of old computer manuals in the corner (this I know from experience *yikes*) Edit. Edit. Edit.

- Plenty of fancy hangers for your guest to hang their clothes on. I like the cloth kind with little bows. Also, at least two empty drawers for them to keep their folded clothes in.

- A few interesting books by the bedside table. If you have a television in the room, a stack of DVDs for them to watch if your guests have jet lag and can't sleep.

- A spotless bathroom, fully stocked with extra tissue paper and extra essential items they might have forgotten like razors, toothpaste etc.

- Fluffy, sumptuous white towels folded and placed at the end of their bed with a new bar of soap. (I also like to have a bottle of body wash in the shower, in case they don't like to use bar soap. Right now I love Nivea body wash in Happiness).

- And finally, if you have time, spend the night in the guest bedroom yourself and see if you notice anything that could use improving...

There you have it. My essential tips for a perfect guest bedroom. Now for all those other rooms in the house...

I would love to hear any tips that you use to keep your guests cozy...


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.