My Top Ten Films of the Decade- #7 Marie Antoinette


2006’s Marie Antoinette, directed by Sofia Coppola is my number seven favorite film of the decade. Yes, I will admit that I have a lifelong obsession with all things Marie Antoinette- I’ve read her biography by Antonia Fraser (highly recommended, btw), I’ve read the biography of her perfumer, I have books on her palaces and the court gardens. I have, naturally, been to Versailles where I spent an afternoon pretending I was Marie Antoinette (I can’t believe I’m admitting this).

So when Sofia Coppola’s film came out I was determined to like it for better or for worse. Luckily liking this film was not a stretch for me. I loved everything about it- from the quirky casting (Jason Schwartzman as Louis XVI!), to the indie soundtrack, to the amazing scenery (which was actually filmed in the Palace of Versailles) to the incredible costumes. I also thought Kirsten Dunst was lovely in the title role…

This film got mixed reviews from the critics but as far as I’m concerned, it was as delectable as one of Marie Antoinette’s little cakes… a true delight...

Won’t you stay tuned for my number 6 pick?


Kirsten Dunst is pictured in a scene from Marie Antoinette above.


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.