On Alexander McCall Smith



So many of you have expressed interest in the Alexander McCall Smith books that I review (and am obsessed with) on The Daily Connoisseur. Many of you asked me which book to start with (there are so many!) So below, I shall describe each series that I've read and list them in order. Here we go...

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

This is my favorite of the McCall Smith series. Taking place in Africa, these warm little gems follow Precious Ramotswe as she solves crime and leads a charming life in Botswana. I swoon over every book in this delightful series.

The order is as follows:

1- The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency
2- Tears of the Giraffe
3- Morality for Beautiful Girls
4- The Kalahari Typing School for Men
5- The Full Cupboard of Life
6- In the Company of Cheerful Ladies
7- Blue Shoes and Happiness
8- The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
9- The Miracle at Speedy Motors
10-Tea Time for the Traditionally Built
11-The Double Comfort Safari Club (not yet released)

The 44 Scotland Street series.


This wonderful series of books is written in the episodic manner and humorously follows the lives of the residents of 44 Scotland Street. I devour these books as well- they are humorous and life affirming. Highly recommended…

The order is as follows:

1- 44 Scotland Street
2- Espresso Tales
3- Love Over Scotland
4- The World According to Bertie
5- The Unbearable Lightness of Scones (not yet released)

The Isabel Dalhousie Series

I have recently reviewed The Careful Use of Compliments (and will post my review for The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday shortly). This is a delightful series. I adore Isabel and her life- following her philosophies and sleuthing through the beautiful streets of Scotland.

The order is as follows:

1- The Sunday Philosophy Club
2- Friends, Lovers, Chocolate
3- The Right Attitude to Rain
4- The Careful Use of Compliments
5- The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday
6- The Lost Art of Gratitude

There you have it. If you pick up one of Alexander McCall Smith’s books, I hope they bring you as much joy as they bring me…

Happy reading!


The picture above depicts a portion of my cherished book collection by Alexander McCall Smith…


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.