Farmington Hills Man Prepares to Launch Free Weight Loss Support Group - Patch.com

Imagine not eating french fries for the next five years. For the average American, that may be a ridiculous proposal, but giving up some unhealthy vices is exactly what Jeffrey Weiss did to truly change himself.

Weiss, a 49-year-old Farmington Hills native, experienced a lifestyle change that has left him happier, more passionate, driven and over 200 pounds lighter.

"Food is an addiction, but now it's a controlled addiction," he said. "I am 300% committed to myself and my health now."

Some of the details of his journey from a 52-inch waist to a 32-inch waist were documented by the Joy Fit Club, a feature on NBC's early morning Today show, in January. Since then, Weiss has continued making strides toward healthy living.

After meeting on a weight loss website, then at a local coffee shop for hours of conversation, Weiss teamed up with Tracy Rose, a plus-size weightlifter, to take action in his own community. Together the two developed the idea to create a free support group.

"When I left my meeting with Jeffrey, it was one of those moments where I knew I met a friend for life," Rose said.

"1stepaweigh", set to launch in late September, will be a totally free support group for local residents, no matter their size or weight, to engage in interactive and heartfelt discussions.

Weiss plans to welcome nutritionists and other health and exercise professionals to weekly meetings for people who are ready to "work toward realistic goals and change."

"If this enables even just one person to change, it will be worth it for me. I want to be the person I so desperately needed five years ago. This is my destiny, and I know in my heart that I can help people regain their lives," Weiss said.

The blueprints are in the works for "1stepaweigh", the only dilemma facing Weiss is the right location. Ideally, a conference room or a room in a community center will work just fine. "If I have to set up chairs in my living room, I will. I need help from my community and I am not afraid to ask for it," Weiss said.

"I want them to know that somebody cares and somebody knows. This is not counting calories. It's more than a page in a book. It's more than a web site. Developing your heart and mind is more important than worrying about what you put into your mouth."

To inquire about the new classes, to suggest a meeting place or to reach out to Jeffrey Weiss, contact him at jweightogo63@gmail.com.

28 Aug, 2011


--
Source: http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNHCgFUMV-XGZZTbpQaZn5K-VSFoog&url=http://farmington-mi.patch.com/articles/farmington-hills-man-prepares-to-launch-free-weight-loss-support-group
~
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.